Sunday, September 05, 2010

Labor Day

This weekend's Labor Day holiday used to celebrate the working man and the labor unions.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, "Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."

But "over the years, it has evolved from a purely labor union celebration into a general 'last fling of summer' festival," it says in wilstar.com's Holidays section. This is especially evident in my neighborhood, which is a summer cabin and camping destination. Rim Country is FULL of folks this weekend!

In a tribute to laboring-in-good-pursuits-of-a-neighborly-and-Christ-like type, I thought I'd put up a little quiz. All of the phrases below containing the word labor are found in the hymn book of the LDS Church. Can you find them all and put them in your comments?

I wish I could offer a prize to the winner, like a massage to take away all the pains of your labor, but hey! I'm in need of one. Instead, you'll get the recognition of all your peers in the comment section, and maybe a mention here on my blog. Maybe I'll even send the winner a free mystery book. It's called a mystery book because I don't know yet which book I'll send. I'm just making this up as I go along. [insert smiley face here, or whatever]

Ready? You have until Monday at midnight to find the answers and make a comment. Maybe include it as an activity in your family home evening.

Get set.

  1. Love's labor has merit alone
  2. while we labor for the right
  3. and labor as saviors of dear ones away
  4. in all labors you're pursuing
  5. and our labor here is done
  6. the blessings of God on our labors we'll seek
  7. while here we labor, choose the better part
  8. where I may labor through life's short day
  9. may we labor in the kingdom
  10. by the patience of hope and the labor of love

GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...