Sunday, November 08, 2009

Children's Sacrament Meeting Presentation

Every year, children in the LDS Church's Primary have a different gospel theme upon which their singing and sharing times revolve. During one hour of their two-hour Sunday meeting, youngsters from ages three through twelve learn songs, give talks, and receive messages about that theme. Then, towards the end of the year, they share what they have learned with their parents and other members of the congregation in what is known as the "Children's Sacrament Meeting Presentation," or CSMP, for short. The 2009 theme is "My Eternal Family."

Even though my children are all grown, it never ceases to thrill me when my congregation's children put on their program. Their small but sturdy testimonies, their sweet voices, and their steadfast determination to do their very best bring a lump to my throat every year.

Having served many past years in the Primary, I find myself mouthing the words to familiar songs, as though I could help the children with a little boost of memory when they falter. I listen to new songs, giving heed to the gospel message in a song possibly created just for this year's theme. I thrill to hear the well-loved hymn, "How Firm a Foundation" coming with fervor and belief through young lips. The year's theme was summed up very nicely in the final song: "Families Can Be Together Forever."

Members of my church believe God has ordained that temples be built upon the earth where sacred ordinances can be performed to link individuals in eternal bonds to their ancestors, their earthly families, and to their descendants, as well.

Questions? Go to www.mormon.org for answers.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:08 PM

    Wonderful. One of my first callings was piano for Primary, along with piano for Relief Society and Secretary for Relief Society (a lot of coming and going until they finally changed me to all Relief Society.) Anyway, I loved working with the little ones. They have such joyous spirits. Thanks for sharing your feelings on this.
    Barbara B

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...