Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Dawning of a Brighter Day

This week I'm attending BYU Education Week for the first time. I obtained Internet access relatively painlessly, so I'll give a little report.

The theme this year is "The Dawning of a Brighter Day." Yesterday, at the Devotional, what a thrill it was to raise my voice with thousands of others in singing, "The Morning Breaks, the Shadows Flee," the LDS hymn from which the theme is taken. Elder Richard G. Scott, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, gave the devotional address, in which he taught us keys for learning from the Holy Spirit.

I was able to sit with Rachel Ann Nunes during her book signing yesterday. I may even have sold a copy or two of her newest book, Flying Home, for her. What fun to renew our acquaintance! Later that day I met Michele Paige Holmes, the author of Counting Stars. Today and tomorrow I have other author buddies from LDStorymakers to see and meet (you can be Internet buddies without meeting, you know).

Of course, there are classes to attend--I'm enjoying the select few I've chosen to go to--and performances to see. Last night I viewed the new musical, "Take the Mountain Down," by Steven Kapp Perry and Marvin Payne, and had a hand clappin' good time! Mandolin and banjo music have such joy inherent in their sound.

I'm having a good time in this first taste of Education Week. I hope the aches and pains of protesting muscles will prove short, and the social, mental, emotional, and spiritual boost of the classes and being with friends will continue to lift me up to that Brighter Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...