Thursday, July 20, 2006

The world we live in: Katrina, the hurricane

Originally written on: 08 Sep 2005

August 29 and 30, 2005, will be remembered by the majority of us as a milepost in our lives.

The question, "Where were you when Katrina hit, the levees broke, and New Orleans flooded?" is now added to the list that includes vivid memories about 9-11, the Challenger explosion, and JFK's murder.

I'm one of those people whose lives stopped while the images rolled on television. I've wasted vast blocks of time absorbing the news, feeling overwhelmed by the sweep of the devastation (larger than Great Britain), and sympathizing with the evacuees. I've prayed, emailed friends in the area, given money, and put donation links on websites. I live pretty far away from any shelters, so I can't volunteer at one. What more can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...